Le sam. 29 août 2020 à 23:02, Lucas Francesco a écrit : > I think we're way beyond the peak of 3 if consider non 9labs, as I'm a > brazillian myself and have been using 9front for almost 2y, and have been > slowly introducing my brother and my current mate to it. > I'm glad to hear that! The 3 persons back then were Federico Benavento (fgb), Felipe Bichued and I. > Leo, best of luck on the distro though, I'd really like 9 to be > niche-popular but I don't think translating stuff is the way to go, if it > wasn't for covid I was going to start lecturing about it at the uni I'm in > but with prior warnings that all the content is in English. > > Lucas > > Em sáb, 29 de ago de 2020 16:55, Iruatã Souza > escreveu: > >> Le sam. 29 août 2020 à 19:26, Leonardo a >> écrit : >> >>> Cool! >>> >>> I want to make a Plan 9 distro aimed at brazilians: I'm at the beginning >>> of this journey. My plan is to translate all the documentation (articles >>> and man pages), try to make the system more user friendly (not for hackers >>> but for common people) and also work in ordinary software like a modern >>> browser, a word processor, spreadsheet software, a kind of powerpoint etc. >>> >>> >> As another historical note, for a number of years (2006 to 2009 iirc) >> Plan 9 reached the peak of 3 regular users in Brazil. Others came and went, >> but those 3 are responsible for at least abaco, the initial python port, >> and the initial work into what is now the 9front bootloader. >> >> So, Leonardo, welcome aboard :) >> >> Besides translation, what are the Brazilian-specific needs you are trying >> to address? >> I highly recommend you search the list for other projects similar to >> yours. >> >> Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in the journey! >> >> iru >> >> >>> I am studying Plan 9 and I am totally in love with it: read files, write >>> to files and again: read files, write to files. And what else do you need >>> to do? Little or nothing: things are really simple. The NSA invented >>> SELinux (mandatory access control) because it saw that, from a security >>> point of view, the idea of discretionary access control did not provide >>> much. Okay, it's an idea and it works. But Plan 9, before, had introduced >>> the idea of namespace which is, by the way, a much simpler and smarter >>> idea: each process can have its own restricted view of the universe of >>> files. I really don't understand why Plan 9 has not been adopted. Legacy >>> base? >>> >> *9fans * / 9fans / see discussions > + participants > + delivery options > Permalink > >