I think we're way beyond the peak of 3 if consider non 9labs, as I'm a brazillian myself and have been using 9front for almost 2y, and have been slowly introducing my brother and my current mate to it. Leo, best of luck on the distro though, I'd really like 9 to be niche-popular but I don't think translating stuff is the way to go, if it wasn't for covid I was going to start lecturing about it at the uni I'm in but with prior warnings that all the content is in English. Lucas Em sáb, 29 de ago de 2020 16:55, Iruatã Souza escreveu: > Le sam. 29 août 2020 à 19:26, Leonardo a > écrit : > >> Cool! >> >> I want to make a Plan 9 distro aimed at brazilians: I'm at the beginning >> of this journey. My plan is to translate all the documentation (articles >> and man pages), try to make the system more user friendly (not for hackers >> but for common people) and also work in ordinary software like a modern >> browser, a word processor, spreadsheet software, a kind of powerpoint etc. >> >> > As another historical note, for a number of years (2006 to 2009 iirc) Plan > 9 reached the peak of 3 regular users in Brazil. Others came and went, but > those 3 are responsible for at least abaco, the initial python port, and > the initial work into what is now the 9front bootloader. > > So, Leonardo, welcome aboard :) > > Besides translation, what are the Brazilian-specific needs you are trying > to address? > I highly recommend you search the list for other projects similar to yours. > > Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in the journey! > > iru > > >> I am studying Plan 9 and I am totally in love with it: read files, write >> to files and again: read files, write to files. And what else do you need >> to do? Little or nothing: things are really simple. The NSA invented >> SELinux (mandatory access control) because it saw that, from a security >> point of view, the idea of discretionary access control did not provide >> much. Okay, it's an idea and it works. But Plan 9, before, had introduced >> the idea of namespace which is, by the way, a much simpler and smarter >> idea: each process can have its own restricted view of the universe of >> files. I really don't understand why Plan 9 has not been adopted. Legacy >> base? >> > *9fans * / 9fans / see discussions > + participants > + delivery options > Permalink > >