Thank you Fabrice and Louis. As other institutions or individuals on this list, you know that we are happy (as a company /and/ as individuals) to contribute to the thriving of the OCaml community. All initiatives are good to take :-) Muriel https://www.ocamlpro.com/ On 18/06/2020 11:09, Louis Roché wrote: > I was happy to give 300USD of my personal money to push someone to > work on this task. But I can't afford to pay a company to work on that > task. > > There is a script in the opam repo providing binary cache already[1]. > The problem is that it doesn't handle relocation well. Because of > paths contained in the cached content. For example if I install ocaml > in a switch A, then in switch B, then delete the switch A, suddenly > the switch B won't work anymore. > > To me the ideal solution would be to extract the code of esy that is > doing path replacements and use it in an opam hook. It would also > require all switches to be installed in a path of a similar length, > but that's a trivial task. > > 1. https://github.com/ocaml/opam/blob/4756ca1/shell/opam-bin-cache.sh > > On Thu, Jun 18, 2020, at 17:00, Fabrice Le Fessant wrote: >> opam is maintained by OCamlPro, why not contact them and get a quote >> ? It won't be 300$, but everybody will enjoy the feature in the >> next version. >> >> As a side note, a long time ago, I had an implementation of a >> binary cache for OPAM. The modifications in OPAM were minimal: opam would >> just call a hook to build the package and install it, providing >> a checksum of dependencies and sources. The checksum would be used by >> an external tool (`ocp-bin`) to query the local binary cache (or a >> remote server) and either re-install the package or build it and save >> it in the cache. Since it was written in 2013, not sure if it would >> still work easily with current opam. Its code was used later to >> create opam-builder. >> -- >> Fabrice LE FESSANT >> CEO Origin-Labs SAS & Dune Network >> >> Le jeu. 18 juin 2020 à 03:53, Francois Berenger > > a écrit : >> >> Cf. >> https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/bounty-for-compilation-cache-in-opam/2482 >> for details. >> >> -- >> Fabrice LE FESSANT >> Chercheur en Informatique >> INRIA Paris Rocquencourt -- OCamlPro >> Programming Languages and Distributed Systems >