Hello and good evening. Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote in <20201107042249.GG99027 at eureka.lemis.com>: |[Coff, etc] I tend to hang in compose mode so long that i miss such switches at first. |On Saturday, 7 November 2020 at 0:29:01 +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote: |> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote in |> <20201106225422.GD99027 at eureka.lemis.com>: |>> On Friday, 6 November 2020 at 7:46:57 -0800, Chris Torek wrote: |>>> In typesetting, especially when doing right-margin justification, |>>> we have "stretchy spaces" between words. The space after end-of- |>>> sentence punctuation marks is supposed to be about 50% larger than |>>> the width of the between-words spaces, and if the word spaces get |>>> stretched, so should the end-of-sentence space. |>> |>> FWIW, this is the US convention. Other countries have different |>> conventions. My Ausinfo style manual states |>> |>> There is no need to increase the amount of punctuation ... at the |>> end of a sentence. |>> |>> I believe that this also holds for Germany. I'm not sure that the UK |>> didn't have different rules again. | |> Yes, the DUDEN of Germany says for typewriters that the punctuation |> characters period, comma, semicolon, colon, question- and |> exclamation mark are added without separating whitespace. The next |> word follows after a space ("Leerschritt", "void step"). | |Thanks for the confirmation. Where did you find that? I checked the |yellow Duden (â␦␦Richtlinien für den Schriftsatzâ␦␦) before sending my |previous message, but I couldn't find anything useful. (The charset errors were already in.) Well yes, i looked first, it has been a very long time since i only follow my gut, if it does not come naturally leave it. The next chapter it is, »Hinweise für das Maschinenschreiben« ("Advices for typewriting"). (For handwriting hope is lost anyway, noone can read that. Even though one could find philosophic background in good handwriting style, but i personally was touched by the Japanese, Chinese etc., also Arabic way of doing things already so young, western style has a hard time against calligraphie that is to say.) But mind you, reassuring that old typewriters really placed the mentioned punctuation characters left in their box i even found a bug in mutool! (Ghostscript mupdf issue 703092.) --steffen | |Der Kragenbaer, The moon bear, |der holt sich munter he cheerfully and one by one |einen nach dem anderen runter wa.ks himself off |(By Robert Gernhardt)