Computer Old Farts Forum
From: segaloco via COFF <coff@tuhs.org>
To: COFF <coff@tuhs.org>
Subject: [COFF] Archived A Couple 5ESS Training Programs
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 07:11:11 +0000	[thread overview]

I've just uploaded a couple new items to archive.org that
folks may find interesting:

https://archive.org/details/5ess-2000-switch-es5431-office-data-base-1998
https://archive.org/details/5ess-2000-switch-es5432-system-analysis-1998

Linked above are the ES5431 (Office Data Base Installation)
and ES5432 (System Analysis) training CDs as produced by
Bell Laboratories (Lucent era) for the 5ESS-2000 switch.
Among other things, these CDs contain a 5ESS simulator which
you can see a screenshot of here:

https://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=28001.msg269652#msg269652

I was able to successfully get it to run on Windows 98 SE in
a virtual machine, although did break one rule of archiving
optical media in that I didn't take iso rips.  I intend to
throw an old FreeBSD hard disk in that computer sometime soon
and do some proper rips with dd(1).  In the meantime,
this means using the above archives presents only a partial
experience in that the Training section of the software
appears to depend on the original discs being inserted.

In any case, the simulator interests me greatly.  I intend
to do a little digging around in it as time goes on to see
if there may be traces of 3B20 emulation or DMERT in the
guts.  I'm not holding my breath, but who knows.  Either way,
it'll be interesting to play with.  Thus far I've only
verified the simulator launches, but have done nothing
with it yet.  Picked up Steele's Common Lisp (2nd Edition)
in the same eBay session so time will be split between this,
learning Lisp, and plenty of other little oddball projects
I have going, but if I find anything interesting I'll be
sure to share.

Given that Nokia is shedding 5ESS stuff pretty heavily right
now (or so I've heard) I have to wonder if more of this
stuff will start popping up in online market places.  Word
over on the telephone forum is that some folks in Nokia
do have an interest in preserving 5ESS knowledge and
materials but are getting the expected apathy and lack of
engagement from higher ups.  Hopefully this at least means
Nokia doesn't mind too much this stuff getting archived if
they don't have to do any of the footwork :)

- Matt G.