On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 11:39 PM segaloco via COFF wrote: > Howdy folks, just finished an exciting series of repairs and now have a > DEC VT100 plumbed into a Western Electric Data Set 103J. I was able to > supply an answer tone (~2250Hz) at which point the modem began transmitting > data. I could then pull the answer tone down and the connection remained, > with keypresses on the VT100 properly translating to noise on the line. > > Really all I have left is to see if it can do the real thing. I'm keeping > an eye out for another such modem but in the meantime, is anyone aware of > any 300-baud systems out there in the world that are currently accepting > dials in? I don't have POTS at home but they do at my music practice space > and if there is such a machine out there, I kinda wanna take my terminal > and modem down there and see if I can straight up call a computer over this > thing. > There are plenty to be found, so I'm not going to answer that question directly but offer a slightly different possibility, which might make debugging easier. If you have a second (known working) modem, get something like the Viking DLE-200B, which is about $125 or less on eBay/Amazon or the like. It will simulate a traditional POTS line -- has two RJ11 ports in it. I used to have access to a similar unit a few years ago (it actually could support 4 lines, IIRC), but for your purposes, I suspect it will work. But that makes everything a closed system under your control. Clem ᐧ