On Sun, Oct 1, 2023 at 1:24 AM steve jenkin wrote: > > PARC invented so many things, it’s hard to list… > Ethernet, Laser printers, GUI & Windowing System, Object Oriented (? good > ?), what became ’the PC' > > What we call laser printers (xerography-based printers driven by a computer) pre-dates PARC. The XGP took a Xerox long-distance fax (LDX) machine and connected it to the computer using the 200 bpi Hershey fonts. This is a picture from the late 1960s of the LDX: [image: XeroxLong Distance Xerography LDX.jpg] The CMU one was first online (shortly) followed by MIT and then Stanford about 6 mons later. Here are two of my favorite pics: loading TP into the XGP: [image: Load TP into XGP.jpg] and the output =- small diplomas: [image: CMU Diplomas on toilet paper with sig.jpg] Fun story about the PARC/Adobe's late Charles Geschke. His Ph.D. thesis was the first to be printed on it. CMU's Library initially rejected it and would not grant him his diploma, because they wanted the hand-typed masters for their archives. It took many months and lots of pleas from folks in the CS Department to get him an exception - trying to explain they the library had the master already. ᐧ