Computer Old Farts Forum
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
Cc: Computer Old Farts Followers <coff@tuhs.org>
Subject: [COFF] Re: [ih] Fwd: Some Berkeley Unix history - too many PHDs per packet
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 04:24:02 +0100	[thread overview]

Thanks Clem for those memories and details.

I only joined university in 1995, so my first collision with this whole copyright mess
was when we had to sign individually for our groups SunOS source code license according
to Sun's policies back then - but i don't think this was relating to AT. Of course, both
ATT and BSD source code licenses where necessary for SunOS liceses back then. The
BSD requirement may have went away when Sun rebased to SVR4. Not sure.

I sometimes wonder what would have become of Linux if the whole CSRG/ATT lawsuit
would have settled before 1991. For us in University doing OS research, it was quite
annoying when we had all invested so much into SysV and BSD unix, but then our students
told us from 1991 on to just forget about it and founded or joined companies doing Linux
distributions (Suse being the local one from my universities metro area). Of course, in hindsight,
this may have been a good thing, but of course, it took a long time for Linux to catch up,
and i would not wonder if BSD die hards say that it still has not.

Cheers
    Toerless

---
tte@cs.fau.de