Lars Ingebrigtsen writes: > Brent Busby writes: > >> I've been trying to figure out what to do to repair mailboxes like this >> so Gnus will see all of them again. Using sed to completely get rid of >> all X-Gnus-Article-Number and/or Xref lines and then doing meta-g on the >> group seems to work, but also seems a little brutal. All of this makes >> it very hazardous to move messages around between mailboxes, especially >> if copying into an existing nnfolder, even within Gnus, with no >> involvement from any other mailreaders. It becomes necessary to do >> header cleanup afterward to make all messages visible again. >> >> What do you think would be the recommended way to hammer a mailbox's >> Gnus metadata back into shape in situations like these? > > That sounds like a good way to do it, but it'd be nice if we could > figure out what's going wrong instead. I'm assuming you're using > nnfolder? And you say that `B c'-ing an article to one of these groups > doesn't result in the message getting the X-Gnus-Article-Number header? Yes, I am using nnfolder for mailboxes that get long term storage. What seems to sometimes happen if I copy or move an email or Usenet message into an nnfolder is either: - The new copy in the nnfolder will get a X-Gnus-Article-Number number that is not in sequence compared to the other messages in the nnfolder. In cases where the new messages number is actually lower than the one before it, Gnus will not display that message in the summary, or any messages that come after it. You will have to use another mailreader to see these messages, or look at them raw with a pager like less. - And/or, the Xref: line will still contain the name of the mailbox it came from, instead of the one it's in now. This may be appropriate (don't know), but it's suspicious. Getting rid of all Xref: and X-Gnus-Article-Number: lines in the whole nnfolder is one way of dealing with this, but I'd like to make a Perl script that's a little smarter, so I'm wondering what a true cleanup would need to do. -- + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys + Sr. UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of + James Franck Institute + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, + Materials Research Ctr + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky