Hi! Thanks for quick reply. On Monday 16 July 2018 17:29:19 Ingo Schwarze wrote: > Hi Pali, > > i'm rearranging your text while quoting because you address > most of the issues twice. > > > Pali Rohar wrote on Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 01:03:35PM +0200: > > > It seems that mandoc is not able to format tables in HTML output > > correctly. Output is rather ugly which makes it less readable. > > You have designed a very complicated table for testing, exercising > many advanced features of the tbl(7) language: Complicated? This is just simplified version of real used table in man page. E.g.: https://github.com/pali/udftools/blob/master/doc/mkudffs.8 > > Because now ASCII version is better then what produce HTML. > > Absolutely. ASCII output is always better than HTML. We consider > terminal output by far the most important output mode in OpenBSD. > But lately, HTML has also be improved in many respects, and that > work will continue. The importance of HTML output is increasing. I was told that mandoc has support for formatting manpages to HTML and it is really good, therefore I tested it on some manpages (like above). And I had to say that no. ASCII of mandoc is better. And when I compared table ASCII table generated by mandoc and groff, groff output is better. So based on your reply, all those reports are not supported by mandoc yet and marked as TODO... I hope that they will be resolved, specially now when e.g. Arch Linux and Debian started to generate HTML versions of manpages by mandoc. Because otherwise it would be better to stick with UTF-8 output from groff and do some HTMLization of plain text output... About borders in html tables, I think that all is possible to describe via CSS properties like buttom-border, left-border, etc, ... -- Pali Rohár pali.rohar@gmail.com