On Thursday 13 September 2018 09:32:48 Anthony J. Bentley wrote: > Hi Pali, > > Pali Rohár writes: > > In perl world is documentation for perl modules or perl scripts writing > > in the POD format. Build process for perl scripts/modules then convert > > POD documentation into manpages and install it into standard system > > location. > > > > I looked at Debian manpages which uses mandoc for converting man pages > > to HTML and basically documentation for perl modules is not good. > > > > For example this is HTMLized manpage for Email::Address::XS perl module: > > https://manpages.debian.org/Email::Address::XS > > > > There is also converting tool which formats POD documentation directly > > into HTML output. And for Email::Address::XS module is looks like: > > https://metacpan.org/pod/Email::Address::XS > > > > So, I would like to ask, how can be HTML output generated from perl > > manpages improved (process: POD --> mandoc --> HTML), so documentation > > would be more close to the native HTML output (process: POD --> HTML)? > > LibreSSL's documentation was originally in pod, and was converted to > mdoc by Ingo and myself. We used Kristaps's pod2mdoc(1) as a base, and > fixed up the resulting mdoc source to be more semantic. > > https://mandoc.bsd.lv/pod2mdoc/ > > If you want to keep the source formatting in pod, you could use pod2mdoc > during the build. The result is not incredibly good due to an inherent > lack of semantics in pod, but it is better than pod2man output. > > I imagine a nicer result would come from keeping the source in mdoc > format and converting to pod during the build, but I'm not aware of > any such converter yet... That is not possible for general usage. Documentation for perl modules are written in POD and would be written also in the future... -- Pali Rohár pali.rohar@gmail.com