On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 11:05:57AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote: > On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 10:51:56AM +0100, Sören Tempel wrote: > > Sören Tempel wrote: > > > From my personal Alpine Linux packaging perspective: I would prefer > > > either removing the function entirely or supporting the invocation with > > > a NULL pointer argument. Currently, apps using this with a NULL pointer > > > (e.g. cdparanoia) will crash at runtime which makes it more difficult to > > > identify them. If the function would be removed entirely we would be > > > able to detect, during compilation, which apps use it and patch them > > > accordingly. > > > > Ping. > > Thanks. I'm trying to catch up on patches and I just confirmed your > research, so I think the patch is correct. I'll apply soon. Sorry for taking so long to get back to this. The function seems to have been significantly broken on top of not supporting a null argument. See attached three patches which I plan to push if there are no stupid bugs in them. Rich