Thanks. How would you feel about the following potential configuration design? * Add a new configuration option "send_mdns_unicast" * When true, use the current behavior * When false, send the query on all non-loopback non-p2p interfaces * Have send_mdns_unicast default to false I was thinking through how to pick interfaces, looked up what other mDNS libraries do, and pretty much all of them don't allow configuring interfaces, whereas Avahi exposes allow-interfaces and deny-interfaces. I'm leaning towards not making this configurable to reduce complexity. I think that anyone interested in that level of config is probably using Avahi anyway. Additionally this design has two nice properties: the default behavior is RFC-compliant, and it means that for my use-case I don't need to change the config file, which was a big part of my motivation for doing this inside of musl in the first place :-) David On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 7:47 PM Rich Felker wrote: > On Thu, Mar 07, 2024 at 07:34:33PM -0800, David Schinazi wrote: > > Hmmm. The cleaner option with the new config option and support for > > querying on all interfaces probably reaches a level of complexity where > > running a resolver on localhost might be best. And I honestly agree with > > your point that overloading the config option isn't great design. So > > perhaps "not doing it at all" is the answer then. I'll think about it > some > > more, and discuss it with some mDNS experts at the next IETF meeting in a > > couple weeks. I'll report back if someone has a clever idea that wouldn't > > violate the design principles we've discussed in this thread. But if > not, I > > want to say thanks for thinking through this with me. > > I don't think the conclusion of this thread is necessarily "don't". > The right form of config option, especially if there's consensus on > what it should look like, is a very viable path, and the IP_PKTINFO > thing you found makes the implementation a lot simpler. > > Having input from experts on the mDNS side would be most welcome and > sounds like a good next step to figuring out if this makes sense. > > Rich >