mailing list of musl libc
From: David Schinazi <dschinazi.ietf@gmail.com>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@libc.org>
Cc: musl@lists.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [musl] mDNS in musl
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:17:44 -0800	[thread overview]

Thanks for the detailed responses, everyone!
I'm sending replies inline.
David

On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 8:45 AM Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like IANA reserves it, and cites RFC 6762,
> <
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/special-use-domain-names/special-use-domain-names.xhtml
> >.

As Jeffrey points out, when the IETF decided to standardize mDNS, they
published it (RFC 6762) at the same time as the Special-Use Domain Registry
(RFC 6761) which created a process for reserving domain names for custom
purposes, and ".local" was one of the initial entries into that registry.
The UTF-8 vs punycode issue when it comes to mDNS and DNS is somewhat of a
mess. It was discussed in Section 16 of RFC 6762 but at the end of the day
punycode won. Even Apple's implementation of getaddrinfo will perform
punycode conversion for .local instead of sending the UTF-8. So in practice
you wouldn't need to special-case anything here.

There's also very much a policy matter of what "locally over
> multicast" means (what the user wants it to mean). Which interfaces
> should be queried? Wired and wireless ethernet? VPN links or other
> sorts of tunnels? Just one local interface (which one to prioritize)
> or all of them? Only if the network is "trusted"? Etc.

You're absolutely right. Most mDNS systems try all non-loopback non-p2p
multicast-supporting interfaces, but sending to the default route interface
would be a good start, more on that below.

My view has always been that the right way to do something like this,
> where there's no existing interface or contract/expectations for how
> the libc stub resolver does it, is that it belongs in a resolver
> speaking dns protocol on localhost. That way policy isn't baked-in to
> individual executables (which may be static linked) but kept in a
> place that's reasonable to have policy controls and where the user can
> customize them.

I agree that providing an option to have these policy decisions in
user-space makes a lot of sense. That's what glibc and Apple's libsystem
do, but that comes at a higher indirection cost. For components that don't
have as much flexibility though, it would be nice to be able to send these
queries without requiring additional software.

> From looking through musl, both gethostbyname() and getaddrinfo() route
> > through __lookup_name(), which eventually calls name_from_dns(). From
> > looking at that function, the issue is that it doesn't treat .local
> > specifically - instead of sending those queries to multicast, it sends
> them
> > to the regularly configured DNS nameservers.
> >
> > The fix would be to modify name_from_dns() [2] such that if `name` ends
> in
> > ".local", then pass in a different conf variable to __res_msend_rc(). The
> > conf variable contains (amongst other things) the DNS nameservers to send
> > the query to. So, when the name ends in .local, instead of passing in the
> > regular nameservers, we pass the multicast addresses and ports dedicated
> > mDNS (224.0.0.251:5353 and [ff02::fb]:5353).
>
> When you do that, how do you control which interface(s) it goes over?
> I think that's an important missing ingredient.

You're absolutely right. In IPv4, sending to a link-local multicast address
like this will send it over the IPv4 default route interface. In IPv6, the
interface needs to be specified in the scope_id. So we'd need to pull that
out of the kernel with rtnetlink.

> And that's it! This implementation is compatible with the "One-Shot
> > Multicast DNS Queries" mode of the mDNS RFC [3]. (Other versions of libc
> > have a mode to send the query over dbus to avahi so that it can cache
> mDNS
> > results locally. But that's the more complicated "Continuous Multicast
> DNS
> > Querying" mode of the RFC, and we don't need that here.)
> >
> > So what do you think, would you be interested in support for mDNS? (In
> case
> > it matters, I've made changes in getaddrinfo inside Apple's libc, so I'm
> > comfortable in this kind of code even though I have zero prior experience
> > with musl)
>
> If at some point there's a consensus on stub resolvers having an
> expectation to support this themselves, and on untanging the details
> like the above, and on "ownership" of the ".local" TLD, it might make
> sense to have a resolv.conf option to do this.

So there's at least IETF consensus on these things. The ownership is
well-defined in RFC 6761, and the support by stub resolvers is discussed in
RFC 6762 Section 22.1 paragraph 3 <<Name resolution APIs and libraries
SHOULD recognize these names as special and SHOULD NOT send queries for
these names to their configured (unicast) caching DNS server(s).>>

> Unlike general unioning
> of sources, which is really problematic, the mDNS stuff seems to be
> putting the decision which source to use *before* making any queries,
> which is a lot less problematic.

I'm not familiar with what you mean by unioning here, are you referring to
interface selection, DNS name server selection, or something else?

On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 8:16 AM Markus Wichmann <nullplan@gmx.net> wrote:

> So is there something wrong with the solution presented in the wiki
> page? Because that is generally the answer we recommend: If you want any
> name resolution other than DNS, write a proxy that does what you want
> and point resolv.conf to it. Similarly, if you want any user database
> lookup other than local files, write an nscd proxy that does what you
> want.

That's certainly an option. Ideally I'd rather avoid adding additional
processes that can be failure points, when the stub can send these itself
with a very small modification.

> Reason for that is that that is the most generic way to support any
> other name service besides DNS. It avoids the dependency on dynamic
> avoid having multiple backends in libc. I really don't think anyone
> wants to open that particular door. Once mDNS is in there, someone will
> add NetBIOS, just you wait.

I'm definitely supportive of the slippery slope argument, but I think
there's still a real line between mDNS and NetBIOS. mDNS uses a different
transport but lives inside the DNS namespace, whereas NetBIOS is really its
own thing - NetBIOS names aren't valid DNS hostnames.

Let me know what you think of the above. If you think of mDNS as its own
beast then I can see how including it wouldn't really make sense. But if
you see it as an actual part of the DNS, then it might be worth a small
code change :-)

Cheers,
David