Hi Rick , While the alternate stack is in use on cannot change the alternate stack. See https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/ EPERM Error. Olaf > Am 10.08.2020 um 18:36 schrieb Rich Felker : > > On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 10:15:13AM +0200, Olaf Flebbe wrote: >> Hi, >> >> I have some problems to follow the discussion here. >> >> It is not about musl to create an alternate stack, it is to *honor* the alternate stack, if the application installed one, for a reason. >> >> I am proposing smthg like >> >> --- /oss/musl-1.2.1/src/thread/synccall.c >> +++ /work/musl/src/thread/synccall.c >> @@ -45,7 +45,7 @@ >> { >> sigset_t oldmask; >> int cs, i, r; >> - struct sigaction sa = { .sa_flags = SA_RESTART, .sa_handler = handler }; >> + struct sigaction sa = { .sa_flags = SA_RESTART|SA_ONSTACK, ..sa_handler = handler }; >> pthread_t self = __pthread_self(), td; >> int count = 0; >> >> This will fix the problem with dynamic stacks, like go implements it. >> If the application does not install one, kernel will ignore >> SA_ONSTACK. (This is even specified by POSIX, since there is no >> error condition mentioned in man page specifically for this). > > It's fundamental, since presence and identity of an alternate stack > are thread-local properties and SA_ONSTACK is global to the signal > disposition. > > The behavior we're concerned about this alterring is not the case > where an application does not install an alternate stack; of course > that's unaffected. The interesting case is where an application does > install one, but expects (albeit IMO wrongly; that's what we're trying > to establish) that the stack memory is not touched/clobbered unless > there's actually an SA_ONSTACK signal handler present to run on it and > such a signal arrives. With the proposed change, the memory for the > alternate stack can be clobbered asynchronously with no such signal > handler existing. (In case it's not clear, the above code is *not a > signal handler* from the perspective that's relevant; it's an > implementation detail internal to the implementation.) > > One way such clobbering could manifest is when a signal handler > running on the alternate stack temporarily moves the stack pointer to > somewhere else (not on the alternate stack), via swapcontext or some > other method. In this case, if a signal for cancellation or synccall > arrives, the kernel will consider the alt stack not in use, and will > start using it again from the beginning, clobbering the still-running > frames. > > Rich