Hi Thorsten, On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 12:19:27AM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote: > Rich Felker dixit: > > >the string literal, because the string literal appears in modular > >library code that gets called from multiple utilities, then printing > >an error message (and even worse, exiting, if you do that too), rather > >than returning meaningful error information up to the caller for it to > >handle/display, is just really sloppy, low-quality programming. > > Libraries totally should not call exit and thus not err/errx, > and warn/warnx is… also questionable at best. > > But modularised code that builds a shared object and a few > binaries using it? Why not. > > The thing I don’t get is why changing __progname is desired, > but I guess everyone has use cases for something. setuid programs. Consider that a setuid program accidentally opens a privileged file in fd 2. Now what happens if a random user can trigger that accident, and write arbitrary text to a privileged file, just by calling that setuid program with execlp("su", "inject this stuff", ...)? Bad stuff. Have a lovely night! Alex > > bye, > //mirabilos > -- > (gnutls can also be used, but if you are compiling lynx for your own use, > there is no reason to consider using that package) > -- Thomas E. Dickey on the Lynx mailing list, about OpenSSL --