From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Cc: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@freedom.nl>
Subject: [NTG-context] Re: Why don't footnotes appear in floats or figures?
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 10:28:19 +0200	[thread overview]

On 4/22/2024 2:45 AM, Joel via ntg-context wrote:
> I'm three days out from sending my work to an editor, and found some
> serious problem: many footnotes just aren't rendering.
>
> I have a history text that uses ConTeXt-SBL for the citations, as such,
> it has lots of footnotes. Sometimes the footnotes are just in the main
> text, but sometimes also in figure captions, inside floats, inside
> tables that are inside floats, inside tabulations inside floats, etc.
>
> What I find alarming is it is frequently not rendering all of the
> footnote messages at the bottom of the page. The actual footnote number
> within the body is rendered, but no number is listed in at the bottom of
> the page. So I might see a list of footnotes, for instance, on page 1, I
> only get footnotes 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6, but 4 was mysteriously skipped.
>

> ---------------
> 1 message
> 2 message
> 3 message
> 5 message
> 6 message
>
> After a lot of trial-and-error and checking logs and checking my BibTeX
> files for errors, running everything through BibTex Tidy, etc., and
> failures to make a minimum working example, I found a single pattern:
>
> If the footnote marker appears on the SAME page as the footnote text, it
> has no problem rendering the footnote. But, if ConTeXt decides to move a
> float a page or two later on--as it frequently seems to do---such that
> the footnote marker and footnote text at bottom of page should be on
> DIFFERENT pages, the footnote message at the bottom of the page won't
> render.
>
> I've seen some 2+ year old mailing list posts suggesting ConTeXt might
> have issues with footnotes; they appear to be similar to my issue--is
> that still a problem? Is there a fix or workaround? Old fixes I could
> finding in the mailing list don't seem to work with current versions of
> ConTeXt anymore.
you need to consider the complications of such notes ...

- tex needs to take the notes into account when determining a page break
- it does so by the insert mechanism
- when floats can't be placed they also become inserts (top and bottom)
- when there are inserts in inserts th eproblem becomes more complex (so
notes inside floats)
- in traditional tex deeply burried inserts disappearm less so in lmtx

There are things that are hard to get right. This works:

\startpostponing
     \startplacefigure[location=here,title={test \footnote{oeps 1}}]
         \blackrule[width=1tw]
         here
         \footnote{hello 1} and
         \footnote{hello 2} and
         \footnote{hello 3} done
     \stopplacefigure
\stoppostponing

\dorecurse{10}{\samplefile{tufte}\par}

Because here the inserts (notes) will migrate but even then one can get
them out of order (unless we renumber, which then is sensitiev for
oscillation).

I occasionally wonder if top floats could be done more directly but
bottom notes still would have an out-of-sync problem

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl