On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 10:15:11 +0000 Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote: > Oliver Schad: > > > A booting tools should be in /bin - full stop! > > > > That is historically untrue. The real world has not actually worked > in the way that some people think. Sorry, this is a historical explanation of some things - is this a history course here? That is *not* what you would expect today. Scripts for system initialization (a special case) should find all tools in /bin, because it's in always in the path (always today). To put tools for a lot of scripts somewhere(!) would mean, that all scripts have a method to find these tools or would mean to add more directories to PATH. Because the maintainer of these scripts are completely distributed (it's not one small team, which writes boot/start scripts), it's crazy to do something else than put everything in /bin. If you would say, that this is not true, then we can discuss where we should place cp, mv, ls - maybe in /usr/lib/gnu/? Really? Important scripting tools should always be in /bin or /usr/bin - /bin for boot, /usr/bin for later stages is ok. Best Regards Oli -- Automatic-Server AG ••••• Oliver Schad Geschäftsführer Turnerstrasse 2 9000 St. Gallen | Schweiz www.automatic-server.com | oliver.schad@automatic-server.com Tel: +41 71 511 31 11 | Mobile: +41 76 330 03 47