Yeah sockets, FFS, VM, autoconfiguration. It almost seems a shame he went to SUN. Although at the same time it’s no wonder why they grabbed him ASAP. I guess it’s like Avie working for NeXT. From: Larry McVoy Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2019 3:06 AM To: Chet Ramey Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org; doug@cs.dartmouth.edu Subject: Re: [TUHS] dmr streams & networking [was: Re: If not Linux,then what?] On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 03:03:34PM -0400, Chet Ramey wrote: > On 8/28/19 2:49 PM, arnold@skeeve.com wrote: > > >> Sorry, what I said about London/Reiser is true, but not the whole > >> story. L/R didn't have demand paging; BSD did. > > > > But my question still stands. Why didn't Research keep going from L/R > > and add demand paging? Wouldn't that have been "cleaner" than starting > > from BSD? > > It's my impression that BSD had done other work that Research didn't want > to duplicate, like autoconfiguration, device support, and so on. Joy got > a lot out of the VAX hardware. He was a coding machine back then. Quite the legacy.