On Tuesday, 17 September 2019 at 7:42:28 +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote: > On Mon, 16 Sep 2019, Clem Cole wrote: > >> Fair enough, but be careful, while I admit I have not looked in a while, >> info(gnu) relies on emacs keybindings and a number of very >> emacs'ish things. Every time I have tried to deal with it, I have >> unprogram my fingers and reset them to emacs. > > Yep, which is why I like "info" as much as I like EMACS i.e. not at > all. Maybe I've missed something, but I'm in the intermediate camp. Emacs is in my fingertips, and I wouldn't want to live without it, but I'd far rather see info go away. In some ways it anticipated HTML, but I find navigation particularly painful. > What exactly is wrong with the manpage format? It's linear. > It tells you everything you need to know, and tells you where to > find further information. Yes, but you need to follow the link manually. Theoretically a good HTML document would be better, but it's nice to have a linear form that you can search. For an extreme case of man pages, look at something like mplayer(1) or mpv(1): $ man mplayer|wc -l 9435 $ man mpv|wc -l 13939 That doesn't make them easy to read. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA