I don't recall a specific aha moment either. Possibly it was make - I had previously expressed a wish for some sort of dependency tracking mechanism to speed up the build system I was using in my job, and had been told it couldn't be done. I was impressed that Unix provided one out of the box. On 2019-Oct-11 15:04:15 +0300, Tyler Adams wrote: >Then when Apple and Google pumped out 3 BILLION unix like devices and made >unix mainstream, it just nailed it in that unix is a really special piece >of software*.* Well, whilst Apple and Google products are built around a Unix-like core, none of them expose the Unix UI to normal users. And, if you come from a Unix background, even once you access the underlying core, the differences are more likely to trip you up than make you feel at home. Instead, they each have their own, proprietary UI, together with a relatively proprietary development environment. None of them are going to introduce a new generation to Unix or generate Unix evangelists. -- Peter Jeremy