On Monday, 2 November 2020 at 4:04:21 -0700, arnold@skeeve.com wrote: > Ed Bradford wrote: > >> I had the orange and red books but I sold them to a fellow in Europe >> who has a Unix Museum. He also bought one of UNIX lice eggs plates. >> >> I took high resolution photos of each page before I sent them to Europe. I >> can send copies if that is legal and anyone is interested. >> >> Ed Bradford >> Pflugerville, TX > > Given that the Lions book was republished for anyone to purchase a few > years back (I bought a copy, as well as having a samisdat photocopy), > I see no reason why they couldn't be freely distributed. Maybe even > added to the archives, if Warren agrees. Yes, it's freely available now, as of about 2002. You can download it from http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/Lions/ . My question related to a discussion about its copyright status when it was written, and how it was published. Warren's photos conveniently show the title page (with dedication by Lions himself) with the text This document may contain information covered by one or more licenses, copyright and non-disclosure agreements. Circulation of this document is restricted to holders of a license for the UNIX Software System from Western Electric. All other circulation or reproduction is prohibited. Since the release of the Ancient Unix license in 2002, this no longer applies, of course. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA