On 7/24/20 1:57 PM, Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 2:47 PM Will Senn > wrote: > >> I'm just getting comfortable using sed, thanks for the >> simplification. > > The issue with sed is that different shar programs used different > cut/here markers. Using vi was safer and as I said, since you did not > do it everyday, it was no big deal. > Maybe since you have a number of these you want to apply, check with a > grep for the expected marker before you try to apply the sed script > and only do it in a more automated matter catching the vast majority > of the markers.] > > You asked how we did it.  As was said, there were a number of > unshar(1) commands out there, that did the sed for you.  Go looking in > the archives, but generally speaking using vi was 'good enough' for > day to day work because you did not run it that often / every day / > were >>usually<< not apply a lot of them in a row. > > Clem Yup, I was curious what it looked like in the day. After hearing from everybody, I will use vi the first time and if I have to do it a bunch of ties, will test a sed script... or just wait 'til Warner's done and just check it from source code :). Will -- GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462 7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF