I learned on a manual typewriter in 7th grade, but I got fast on a keypunch. To this day i don't use the right shift key, because it didn't work on a keypunch. At Berkeley, everybody was already a touch typist. That's why vi commands emphasize lower case letters, especially hjkl which are right under the home position. The original reason for hjkl was the ADM3A, but when I added arrow key support to vi and disabled the hardcoded hjkl, a line of grad students made me put it back.     Mary Ann On 2/6/21 9:22 AM, Ron Natalie wrote: > One of the smartest things my mother did was make me take typing in > summer school one year.    Little did she or I knew that being able to > type 60WPM was going to become a very important asset in my eventual > career. > > > ------ Original Message ------ > From: "Clem Cole" > > To: "Will Senn" > > Cc: "TUHS main list" > > Sent: 2/6/2021 11:55:08 AM > Subject: Re: [TUHS] Typing tutors > >> >> >> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 9:57 PM Will Senn > > wrote: >> >> I did see mention a while back about a TOPS-10 typing tutor, not >> unix, but in the spirit - surely there's some unix history around >> typing tutors. >> >> Nah   I just learned to push harder on the ASR-33 keys ;-) >> Funny, back-in-the-day, the local public HS had a typing class for >> the girls, which two of my sisters took.  The all-male prep-school >> where my dad taught and my brothers and I all went, had nothing. But >> I had access to an ASR-33 and just migrated to it. >> >> To this day, my wife (who is a concert pianist/organist) can touch >> type but she is amazed at watching me with my 2, 3 or 4 finger style. >> >> Clem >> ᐧ