You are correct. I had (and read !), that book, but I had obviously forgotten the author. I later worked with someone who also had Josh Fisher as his advisor, so that's where my lossy memory name substitution came from. Thank you for the correction ! I enjoyed that book when I read it. On 04/02/2024 03:55 PM, Paul McJones wrote: >> You can always read Josh Fisher's book on the "Bulldog" compiler, I >> believe he did this work at Yale. > > Are you thinking of John Ellis’s thesis: > > Bulldog: A Compiler for VLIW Architectures > > John R. Ellis > February 1985 > http://www.cs.yale.edu/publications/techreports/tr364.pdf > > > Fisher was Ellis’s advisor. The thesis was also published in ACM’s > Doctoral Dissertation Award: > > https://mitpress.mit.edu/9780262050340/bulldog/ > > > I believe Ellis still has a tape with his thesis software on it, but I > don’t know if he’s been able to read it. >