That is correct. John Bass did contribute the lockf(2) system call to the /usr/group standard. It is in the 1984 document. Heinz On 1/21/2020 10:28 AM, Clem Cole wrote: > The Onyx box redated all the 68K and later Intel or other systems.  >  John Bass brought one to USENIX to demo in early 1980 ru a V7 port > and everyone was blown away. Playing with it. It was a desktop (19" > rack) system that worked like a PDP-11.   I don't remember the bus, > but I would guess it was either custom or Multibus-I. > > Besides being one of the first non-PDP-11 'ports', the original > lockf(2) system call was defined for the database that they had built. > John would release the specs to /usr/group later.  I remember at one > meeting in the early 1980s discussing if file locking needed to be in > the original specification (Heinz probably remembers also as the chair > of that meeting).  I'm not at home, so I don't have the document to > see if it was picked up.  The argument was that serious computers like > VMS or the like ran real databases and without file locking UNIX would > never be considered a real OS that people could use. > > BTW: Joy would later use Bass's call as a model for the 4.2 call, but > Joy made the locks advisory, Bass's version was full / mandatory locks. > > FWIW: I think a search will pick up a number of other Z8000 based > systems, but Onyx was the first UNIX box. > > On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 12:53 PM Jon Forrest > wrote: > > There's been a lot of discussion about early Unix on Intel, National > Semi, Motorola, and Sparc processors. I don't recall if Unix ran on > the Z8000, and if not, why not. > > As I remember the Z8000 was going to be the great white hope that > would continue Zilog's success with the Z80 into modern times. > But, it obviously didn't happen. > > Why? > > Jon >