i like to use it natively as much as possible, especially the 9front edition with its usability (e.g. mouse chording) improvements. if that is not possible, i drawterm into some cpu or a local vm where i can get a little environment to work with whatever is at /mnt/term. it also has a powerful command language and structural regular expressions, and you can use your favorite unix tools on any piece of text you please. it has given me the best text editing and programming experience i've ever had. -rodri On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 10:50 AM wrote: > > 7 Jan 2020 02:32:11 Doug McIlroy : > > Sam was the first screen editor that I deemed worthwhile, and I > > still use it today. > > I would like to experiment with Sam and run it on various *nix operating > systems. There seems to be many ports. > > Do I need to install some kind of Plan 9 emulation layer (in user space), > which Sam builds and runs on? Obviously I'm referring to Russ Cox's > libraries and user space tools. > > Is it necessary to have a p9 environment to gain the most advantage of a > tool like Sam? Or, is it possible for it still to function well as a > transplant in a new environment such as *nix? > > In that second case, what are the well ported versions of Sam that build > and run directly on the target environment? > > Andrew > > >