I of course defer to dmr about the major influence, but I very much appreciated the brevity when printing programs and shell scripts and lines in ed at 110 baud, even with a terminal having a respectable keyboard. I printed much more than I entered. On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 10:38 AM Jaap Akkerhuis wrote: > > > > I have always suspected that the brevity of the Unix command names was > strongly > > influenced by the clunky keyboards on the teletypes that were being > used. Can > > anyone confirm, deny, and/or comment on this? > > Peter Collinson made the same observation at the 25th year celebration > of UNIX (USENIX, Washington) and it was confirmed by dmr. > > jaap > >