Lorinda Cherry told me that that RTM (senior) used to test people's programs by feeding them to themselves as input, a.out < a.out. It helped cure people of the assumption that a program would only see "reasonable" inputs. On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 5:40 PM Norman Wilson wrote: > Bakul Shah: > > Unfortunately strcpy & other buffer overflow friendly > functions are still present in the C standard (I am looking at > n2434.pdf, draft of Sept 25, 2019). Is C really not fixable? > > ==== > > If you mean `can C be made proof against careless programmers,' > no. You could try but the result wouldn't be C. And Flon's > Dictum applies anyway, as always. > > It's perfectly possible to program in C without overflowing > fixed buffers, just as it's perfectly possible to program in > C without dereferencing a NULL or garbage pointer. I don't > claim to be perfect, but before the rtm worm rubbed my nose > in such problems, I was often sloppy about them, and afterward > I was very much aware of them and paid attention. > > That's all I ask: we need to pay attention. It's not about > tools, it's about brains and craftmanship and caring more > about quality than about feature count or shiny surfaces > or pushing the product out the door. > > Which is a good bit of what was attractive about UNIX in > the first place--that both its ideas and its implementation > were straightforward and comprehensible and made with some > care. (Never mind that it wasn't perfect either.) > > Too bad software in general and UNIX descendants in particular > seem to have left all that behind. > > Norman Wilson > Toronto ON > > PS: if you find this depressing, cheer yourself up by watching > the LCM video showing off UNICS on the PDP-7. I just did, and > it did. >