That’s it. On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 8:46 PM Michael Usher wrote: > I tried an ngram search on google, and came up with the following: > > Richard L. Gauthier. October 1981. Using the Unix System, Reston > Publishing Co. ISBN 978-0835981644. > > That seems to precede the Bourne book. > > Available at amazon: > https://www.amazon.com/Using-Unix-System-Richard-Gauthier/dp/0835981649 > > Michael > > > On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 5:28 PM Clem Cole wrote: > >> Two thoughts ... >> >> 1.) Lion's was not a general book. It really was more of a kernel >> 'here-is-how-the-magic-happens.' It's still the best I know for that. >> BTW: it did not leak. It was purchasable from WE. But the cost was high >> and it was hard to get (you had a price you had a license and could not >> buy/order it at any book store - I don't think it had an ISBN or a library >> congress number originally). >> >> I know a couple of the schools (like CMU) wanted to use it for the OS >> course, but there was some hang-up associated with it in the mid-70s, which >> I don't remember - we did have a couple of sections passed out for a few >> lecture. But because of how it was bound (and short), it was photocopied s >> others have pointed out. >> >> I think Michigan managed to use the whole thing for their OS course, as I >> seem to remember that both Ted Kowalski and Bill Joy got copies there >> (although my memory is that they both had photocopies not the original >> Orange and Red bindings). Ted brought it to CMU, which is how I first saw >> it (and I think my original copy was a duplicate of his). And I remember >> seeing a photocopy in wnj's office at UCB. The first time I saw >> the official Red/Orange bound version was when I ordered it at Tektronix >> from WE a few years later, but I had to leave it there when I went back to >> grad school. >> >> >> 2.) The question asked about general 'Unix' text -- my favorite is still >> Rob and Brian's and I still recommend it (particularly to learn how to >> >>use<< UNIX/Linux today by doing the exercises), but it was not first. >> Steve's certainly was early and I thought it was a good explanation and >> until Rob and Brian became available was what I suggested when people >> asked. In fact, early Masscomp system's shipped Bourne's text, until Tim >> wrote the original 'UNIX In a Nutshell' that started his empire. That >> said, I do seem to remember there was another book around the same time >> (79-80 ish) that had a light blue cover that came from one 'PC-press' >> publishers. I wish I could remember the author and the name. I remember >> looking at a copy in Powell's in Portland when it came out and not being >> impressed. >> >> On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 8:08 PM Larry McVoy wrote: >> >>> Do the Bell Labs technical journals count? I have a collection of Unix >>> papers that were puled out and published together in two volumes. That >>> stuff was a gold mine of information in the 80's. >>> >>> On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 07:57:55PM -0400, Ronald Natalie wrote: >>> > The Lions book wasn???t really published back in the day. It was >>> only targetted at his students in Australia (though copies leaked out). >>> > >>> > The manuals aren???t really a book (and again, they weren???t really >>> published as a book) and most of the prose on UNIX was more in the form of >>> articles than an entire book. >>> >>> -- >>> --- >>> Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com >>> http://www.mcvoy.com/lm >>> >> > > -- > Michael Usher > Senior Wireless Network Engineer > University of California, Santa Cruz > musher@ucsc.edu 831-459-3697 > -- Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual