Ron. That’s awesome. Ferrin used the Same set of Hersey Font that the XGP used. He got them from Stanford as I recall but they were publically (aka open source) On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:28 PM Ron Natalie wrote: > We used nroff quite a bit with both the Model37 teletype (for which it > wsa designed, ours even had the greek box on it) and with output filters > for the lineprinter and the Diablos. > > Later on we drove troff into cat emulators that used Versatec printers. > I don’t knwo wher Berkely’s vcat got their fonts, but the JHU verset > had an amusing history on that. > > George Toth went down to the NRL which had a real CAT and printed out > the fonts in large point size on film. In the basement of the > biophysics bulding was a scanning transmission electron microscope which > used a PDP-11/20 as its controller and an older (512x512 or so) > framebuffer. George took the scanning wires off the microsope nad > hooked them up to the X and Y of a tektronics oscilliscope. Then he > put a photomutlipler tube in a scope camera housing and hoked the sense > wire from the microscope to that. > > He now had the worlds most expensive flying spot scanner. He’d tape > one letter at a time to the scope and then bring up the microscope > sofware (DOS/BATCH I think) and tell it to run the microscope. Then > without powering down the memory in the framebuffer, he’d boot up > miniunix and copy the stuff from the framebuffer to an RX05 pack. > After months of laboriously scanning he was able to write the CAT > emulator. > > I had gone to work for Martin Marietta wirking on a classified project > so I wrote hacks to the -mm macro package to handle security markings > (automatically putting the highest on each page on thte top and bottom). > Later when ditroff became available I continued to use it with > various laserprinters. I even wrote macropackages to emulate IBM’s > doc style when we were contracting with them. > > This was all to the chagrin of my boss who wanted us to switch to > Framemaker. > > > > -- Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual