On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 5:21 PM Dave Horsfall wrote: > I know that I'm gonna be outclassed here, but I taught myself BASIC, > ALGOL, and FORTRAN (ugh! well, it was WATFOR then WATFIV) from my school > days in the late 60s onwards. > Many much older and more experienced than I on this list. I'm a relative youngster that started in the late 1960s. So Dave, I have to say, ditto, but I will add a couple of assemblers to the early list (360 BAL, HP2000, and PDP-8 and 10). My father showed me the GE-635 assembler in probably 1968, but I never managed to write anything meaningful in it. > > COBOL tried to be drilled into me, but I firmly rejected it (but for some > odd reason I still know it, but deny all knowledge of it). > Funny, I dodged COBOL, but not PL/1 and APL. With the latter, I maintained the York/APL interpreter on TSS for a bit. I also saw a number of languages on the 10's like SAIL, SNOBOL, and over course BLISS. All before I saw C on the Fifth Edition of UNIX. As I've said before, when I first saw it, I was not impressed. Little did I know Dennis and Ken would rot my brain - (and I'm thankful that they did). Clem ᐧ