The 'second' C compiler was a PDP-10 and Honeywell (36-bit) target Alan Synder did for his MIT Thesis. It was originally targeted to ITS for the PDP-10, but it ran on Tops-20 also. My >>memory<< is he used a 7-bit Character, ala SAIL, with 5 chars stored in a word with a bit leftover. You can check it out: https://github.com/PDP-10/Snyder-C-compiler I believe that C compiler Nelson is talking about I believe is actually Synder's that Jay either ported from ITS or WAITS. We had some form of the Synder compiler on the PDP-10's at CMU in the late 1970s. It was either Mike Accetta or Fil Aleva that wrote a program to read PDP-10 backup tapes, that I updated to deal with TOPS-20/TENEX 'dumper' format which was similar/only different. ᐧ On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 3:03 PM Norman Wilson wrote: > Nelson H. F. Beebe: > > P.S. Jay was the first to get Steve Johnson's Portable C Compiler, > pcc, to run on the 36-bit PDP-10, and once we had pcc, we began the > move from writing utilities in Pascal and PDP-10 assembly language to > doing them in C. > > ====== > > How did that C implementation handle ASCII text on the DEC-10? > Were it a from-scratch UNIX port it might make sense to store > four eight- or nine-bit bytes to a word, but if (as I sense it > was) it was C running on TOPS-10 or TOPS-20, it would have had > to work comfortably with DEC's convention of five 7-bit characters > (plus a spare bit used by some programs as a flag). > > Norman Wilson > Toronto ON >