👍 On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 6:35 PM Warner Losh wrote: > > > On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 1:42 PM Clem Cole wrote: > >> BTW: There is another hint in CAC 155/RFC 681. The line on page 2 that >> reads: "since the user is allowed only sixteen open files." My memory >> is V6 allowed more than 16, over 20 is my memory; but we would have to look >> at the structure to see what it is defined as. >> > > Looking at the source in the archives for V5, we see that param.h has "#define > NOFILE 15" and for V6 we see "#define NOFILE 15 /* max open files per > process */". V7 has "#define NOFILE 20 /* max open files per process */" > though, so maybe you are thinking of V7 bumping the limit to 20? Or maybe > it was a local change for MIT, since param.h could be edited... But in any > event, I think this means that the CAC 155 reference to 16 files just means > V6 or earlier. > > However, I just noticed there's more direct evidence for it being based on > V5. On page 2 of CAC 155 we see > > "For further information concerning the different I/O calls the reader is > directed to The UNIX Programmer's Manual, fifth edition, K. Thompson and D. > M. Ritchie, June 1974." > > BTW, CAC 155 is the PDF we have linked from the early network page. I > hadn't noticed before now, but seeing the missing page refreshes my > recollection. > > Warner > -- Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual