Hey John. Bad cut/paste. I did not say 1980. That was from Eds msg. I said we got what would become X series parts in winter 79. As I understand it from Les; he, Nick and Tom built try the TTL prototype in Early 78 with Les and Tom turning it into Si later that year while Nick was writing ucode and all of the writing AVTs we high ran against then TTL system. Les says Tom did a masterful job of keeping management out of their hair such they they stayed under the radar. From what I understand there was so much focus on countering the Z80 with the 6809 that management thought they were just experimenting with a more 16 bit 6809. But what they were doing was an AD experiment. The fact that it worked was amazing. On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 7:41 PM John Gilmore wrote: > Clem Cole wrote: > > > MC 68K was created in 1980 or thereabouts. > > Wikimedia Commons has a pic of a 1979 XC68000L: > > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:XC68000.agr.jpg > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:XC68000.agr.jpg > > After a USENET posting pointed me at them, I browsed the Sunnyvale > Patent Library to bring home the patents for the Motorola 68000. They > include a full listing of the entire microcode! I ended up copying it, > taping the sheets together to reconstitute Nick Tredennick's > large-format "hardware flowcharts", and hanging them in the hallway near > my office at Sun. Fascinating! > > I never saw X68000 parts; Sun started in 1981, so Moto had production > parts by then. But Sun did get early prototypes of the 68010, which we > were very happy for, since we and our customers were running a swapping > Unisoft UNIX because the 68000 couldn't do paging and thus couldn't run > the BSD UNIX that we were porting from the Vax. Later, I was part of > the Sun bringup team using the XC68020. We built a big spider-like > daughterboard adapter that would let it be plugged into a 64-pin 68010 > socket, so we could debug the 68020 in a Sun-2 CPU board while building > 32-bit-wide boards for the Sun-3 bringup. We had it successfully > running UNIX within a day of receiving it! (We later heard that our > Moto rep was intending to give that precious early part to another > customer, but decided during their meeting with us to give it to us, > because we were so ready to get it running.) > > When the 68000 was announced, it was obviously head-and-shoulders better > than the other clunky 8-bit and 16-bit systems, with a clean 32-bit > architecture and a large address space. It seems like the designers of > the other chips (e.g. the 8088) had never actually worked with real > computers (mainframes and minicomputers) and kept not-learning from > computing history. > > Some of my early experience was in APL implementation on the IBM 360 > series. I knew the 68000 would be a great APL host, since its > autoincrement addressing was perfect for implementing vector operations. > In the process of designing an APL for it (which was never built), I > wrote up a series of short suggestions to Motorola on how to improve the > design. This was published in Computer Architecture News. For the > 68010 they actually did one of the ideas, the "loop mode" that would > detect a 1-instruction backward decrement-and-branch loop, and stop > continually re-fetching the two instructions. This made > memory-to-memory or register-vs-memory instruction loops run at almost > the speed of memory, which was a big improvement for bcopy, bzero, > add-up-a-vector-of-integers, etc. > > I'll append a USENET posting about the 68000 patents, followed by my > addendum after visiting the Patent office. > > John > > From decwrl!decvax!harpo!npoiv!npois!houxm!houxa!houxk!tdl (T.LOVETT) Tue > Mar 15 16:55:28 1983 > Subject: 68000: 16 bits. With references > Newsgroups: net.micro.68k > > With due respect to Henry Spencer I feel that I must correct > some of his statements regarding the 68000. He is correct in > saying that the 68000 is basically 16 bits wide; however, > his explanation of the segmented bus is incorrect. > > The datapath of the 68000 is divided into three pieces, each of > which has two busses, address and data, running through it. Six > busses total. There are muxes which can be switched so that all > address busses are connected and all data busses are connected. > The three sections of the datapath are the data section > (includes low 16 bits of all data registers and ALU), the > "low" section (contains the low 16 bits of address registers and > the low half of the Address Adder(AAU)), and the "high" section > (contains high 16 bits of all address and data registers and > the upper half of the AAU). > > Theoretically they could do 6 16 bit transfers simultaneously, > but in looking through the microcode I don't remember seeing more > than three transfers at a time. The "low" and "high" sections can > be cascaded to provide a 32 bit arithmetic unit for address > calculations. 32 bit data calculations must be done in two passes through > the ALU. > > For the masochists out there, you can learn more than you ever wanted > to know about the 68000 by reading Motorola's patents on it. They are > available for some nominal fee (~ one dollar) from the Office > of Patents and Trademarks in Arlington. The relevant patents are: > > 1 - #4,307,445 "Microprogrammed Control Apparatus Having a Two > Level Control Store for Data Processor", Tredennick, et al. > > First design of 68000 which was scrapped? > > 2 - #4,296,469 "Execution Unit for Data Processor using Segmented > Bus structure", Gunter, et al. > > All about the 16 bit data path > > 3 - #4,312,034 "ALU and Condition Code Control Unit for Data Processor", > Gunter, et al. > > Boring. > > 4 - #4,325,121 "Two-Level Control Store for Microprogrammed Data > Processor", > Gunter et al. > > Bonanza! Full of block diagrams and everything you ever wanted > to know. Includes complete listing of microcode with > Tredennick's "hardware flowcharts". > > Hope this clears things up. > > Tom Lovett BTL Holmdel harpo!houxk!tdl 201-949-0056 > > > My [gnu] notes on additional 68000 patents: > > Pat # Appl # Filed date Issued date Inventors > > 4,338,661 041,201 May 21, 1979 Jul 6, 1982 > Tredennick & Gunter > Conditional Branch Unit for Microprogrammed Data Processor > > 4,342,078 041,202 May 21, 1979 Jul 27, 1982 > Tredennick & Gunter > Instruction Register Sequence Decoder for Microprogrammed > Data Processor and Method > > 4,312,034 041,203 May 21, 1979 Jan 19, 1982 > Gunter, Hobbs, Spak, Tredennick > ALU and Condition Code Control Unit for Data Processor > > 4,325,121 041,135 May 21, 1979 Apr 13, 1982 > Gunter, Tredennick > Two-Level Control Store for Microprogrammed Data Processor > Bonanza! Full of block diagrams and everything you ever > wanted > to know. Includes complete listing of microcode with > Tredennick's "hardware flowcharts". > > 4,296,469 961,798 Nov 17, 1978 Oct 20, 1981 > Gunter, Tredennick, McAlister > Execution Unit for Data Processor Using Segmented Bus Structure > All about the 16 bit data path > > 4,348,722 136,845 Apr 3, 1980 Sep 7, 1982 > Gunter, Crudele, Zolnowsky, Mothersole > Bus Error Recognition for Microprogrammed Data Processor > > 4,349,873 136,593 Apr 2, 1980 Sep 14, 1982 > Gunter, Zolnowsky, Crudele > Microprocessor Interrupt Processing > > 4,524,415 447,721 Dec 7, 1982 Jun 18, 1985 > Mills, Moyer, MacGregor, Zolnowsky > Virtual Machine Data Processor > 68010 changes to 68000 > > 4,348,741 169,558 Jul 17, 1980 Sep 7, 1982 > McAlister, Gunter, Spak, Schriber > Priority Encoder > Used to decode the bit masks for MOVEM. > > XXXXXXXXX 446,801 Dec 7, 1982 > Crudele, Zolnowsky, Moyer, MacGregor > Virtual Memory Data Processor > > XXXXXXXXX 447,600 Dec 7, 1982 > MacGregor, Moyer, Mills Jr, Zolnowsky > Data Processor Version Validation > About how bus errors store a CPU mask version # to > prevent their being restarted on a different CPU mask > in a multiprocessor system > > XXXXXXXXX 961,796 Nov 17, 1978 > Tredennick et al > Microprogrammed Control Apparatus for Data Processor > (continued into 4,325,121, probably never issued) > > XXXXXXXXX 961,797 Nov 17, 1978 > McAlister et al > Multi-port RAM Structure for Data Processor Registers > > 4,307,445 961,796 Nov 17, 1978 > Tredennick, et al > Microprogrammed Control Apparatus Having a Two Level > Control Store for Data Processor > First design of 68000 which was scrapped? > > -- Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual