Consider: Webb Miller's 's' - It been on my 'todo' list to get it running on 6th edition, but I admit that is low on my priority list. But I have run it on a couple of other 8-bit systems -- from the readme --- # s A tiny vi like screen editor Original sources were published in this book: Author: Webb Miller Title: A software tools sampler Publisher: Prentice-Hall, Inc. Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA ©1987 ISBN: 0-13-822305-X Martin, a guy from one of my hangouts named , located the sources from this book. The repository starts from these original sources. Martin also provided the initial CP/M patches for compiling with HI-TECH C. Then the sources were overworked, to get it compiled without warnings on old systems with K&R C compiler, as well as modern systems with ANSI C compiler. This version of s is known to compile on: HI-TECH C for the Z80 under CP/M clang under OSX clang and gcc under Linux Mark Williams K&R C compiler under COHERENT ᐧ On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 11:46 AM Andy Kosela wrote: > On Monday, March 29, 2021, Brantley Coile wrote: > > > > From 1984, when I stopped using vi (vee eye), until the early 1990's, > when > > I could use Sam, I used a slightly hacked version of ed. I added > > what the Labs called the "b" command. I had use some other character. > Dennis > > Ritchie sent me a 8th Edition Unix manual, and I saw they had added > almost > > the same thing and called the command by the second letter. Vi called > > it the last letter, "z." > > > > I've never found ed slows me down. Some things I would have used awk/sed > > for that I now use Sam's command window for, but that's a bad thing. I > still > > use ed a lot along side Sam. > > > > If ed(1) had cursor positioning and full screen capabilities along > with line oriented editing (similar to Atari 8-bit default editor) it > would be perfect. I still love it though and use it pretty often. > > --Andy >