I built a paper tape reader at one point, lord knows were it is. It's pretty easy -- Two pieces of wood to hold the paper with a mm or 2 shaved off the bottom of one of them the width of the paper tape. Then 9 parallel holes and put optical transistors connected to a 5 volt supply via a series resistor, running into a parallel port the 4th one is used as a strobe to pick of the 8 data bits and small light bulb on the other piece of wood. You then just pull it through and its self strobing. Set up a cat < /dev/parallel > /tmp/foo Your basically done, you'll need to pick reasonable values for the resistors to that match your transistors to switch on/off if the light passed through the hole. I've forgotten what I used, it something I had in the parts box. On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:16 PM Lars Brinkhoff wrote: > Jon Steinhart wrote: > > I have a copy of double-sun space war (sorry, just the binary) for the > > PDP-15/GRIN-2 on DEC fan-fold paper tape with the boot loader written > > in octal on the leader. Not sure if it's of any use > > I'm very interested in this! Is the paper tape readable somehow? >