No I don't remember Many details on this one as I did not do it. As I said I think it was a Burness message in the graphics subsystem, but I cannot swear to it. I just remember the time frame and what happened. Roger Gourd's reaction was priceless when Mr Potatohead called us on it. It was one of the times I really learned to respect Roger. That said, Ill see what I can find by asking around. On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 11:41 PM Gregg Levine wrote: > Hello! > Clem by chance do you remember what the error message response was? It > would be interesting to see what phrases were used. For example, on > the IBM side of things, a fellow Adam and I both know, coded an entire > application so that everything it said and did would be in Klingonese. > No I do not remember which one it was, and what have you, I only > remember it surfacing during his talk at the IBM offices here in town, > during the early years of running Tux on the IBM S/390 systems. > > I also find it strange that sometimes even Google is thinking in that > language. > ----- > Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com > "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again." > > On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 3:09 PM Clem Cole wrote: > > > > > > > > On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 2:53 PM Noel Chiappa > wrote: > >> > >> > From: Arnold Robbins > >> > >> > The Bell Labs guys in some ways were too. > >> > >> And there's the famous? story about the Multics error messages in Latin, > >> courtesty of Bernie Greenberg. One actually appeared at a customer site > once, > >> whereupon hilarity ensued. > > > > One of my favorite stories of the same vein was a masscomp story. We > were chasing a rare event (as I recall it was when we first were debugging > Multiprocessor stuff and it a lock order problem). But we could not get > the customers to tell us about what was happening, since the system > recovered quickly, but we might kill a process. We had done a few releases > and make a few changes but we could never reproduce it. > > > > I never knew who it was but someone ??Jack Burness if I had to guess?? > put out a patch with a couple of error messages in Klingon and dumped a > bunch of information. Sure enough this was noticed, customer stopped, we > got the needed data, as they reported the error. But it was a high > visibility customer, so the president (Mr. Potatohead) got a phone call. > Fossil (our boss) made us swear it would never happen again, but he > defended us to the President. We found the bug ;-) > -- Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual