Glad it's working. We probably need to create Joy's tarball in the future with the same file ordering he used and get that the Warren. The trick is getting a v6tar that properly works. Maybe one thing we should do is write a tp format 'tape' with the v6tar binary on it and get that in the archives independently. When V7 came out, there was a way to create v6tar (which I suspect is somehow part of Joy's image). The issue is that some of the system calls changed in small but important ways. tar was a much better way to move files around than tp which is why it so quickly became the archive scheme in the Unix community. On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 9:38 AM Will Senn wrote: > After much travail, I found a post in some ancient Asian language > (Japanese) and was reminded of Wolfgang's enblock. I didn't bother to > translate, but just did the enblock: > > gunzip -d 2bsd.tar.gz > cat 2bsd.tar | enblock > 2bsd.tap > > I attached the result, et voila: > tar xv0 > tar: bin/ - cannot create > x bin/csh, 40412 bytes, 79 tape blocks > tar: bin/etc/ - cannot create > x bin/etc/htmp, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks > x bin/etc/install, 81 bytes, 1 tape blocks > > The cannot create messages are filthy lies :). > > That brought it all back to me - just like when I built tar from tape > for v6... sheesh, why does it have to be so painfully difficult to > remember these tricky bits?! > > Anyhow, afterward, I went back, did the translation from Japanese to > English (or google did), and it was good stuff about how to apply > 2bsd.tar to v6: > > > https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Forumin.blogspot.com%2F2014%2F06%2Funix-and-2bsd-on-pdp11simh-2.html > > Thanks for the help and patience. > > Will > > -- > GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462 7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF > >