If I recall this was one of the implementations that wrote to a file and then forked the next process after it got to eof. On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 2:44 PM Deborah Scherrer < dscherrer@solar.stanford.edu> wrote: > I didn't do this port, so don't know the details. But it was done in > the late 70s (I think) and had broad distribution. When I collected > various Software Tools versions, I was not able to find the VMS one. Sorry. > Deborah > > On 7/12/19 1:45 PM, Paul Winalski wrote: > > On 7/12/19, Deborah Scherrer wrote: > >> There was also an extensive port of the Software Tools to VMS, done by > >> Joe Sventek at LBNL. Included at the key tools, the shell, pipes, > >> everything. Felt completely like Unix. > > How did the LBNL Software Tools for VMS implement pipes? I'm curious > > because DEC itself did a product in the mid-1980s called DEC Shell > > that was a VMS port of the Bourne shell and associated utilities. I > > wrote a VMS device driver that implemented pipes as a true VMS > > pseudo-device, similar to VMS mailboxes but with true Unix pipe > > semantics. > > > > -Paul W. > > -- Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual