even at 120 cps, i agree. On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 10:47 AM John P. Linderman wrote: > I of course defer to dmr about the major influence, but I very much > appreciated the brevity when printing programs and shell scripts and lines > in ed at 110 baud, even with a terminal having a respectable keyboard. I > printed much more than I entered. > > On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 10:38 AM Jaap Akkerhuis wrote: > >> >> >> > I have always suspected that the brevity of the Unix command names was >> strongly >> > influenced by the clunky keyboards on the teletypes that were being >> used. Can >> > anyone confirm, deny, and/or comment on this? >> >> Peter Collinson made the same observation at the 25th year celebration >> of UNIX (USENIX, Washington) and it was confirmed by dmr. >> >> jaap >> >>