below.. in-line On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 7:18 AM Paul Ruizendaal wrote: > Thanks for the feedback, all. > > Rand ports were done in 1977 by Sunshine/Zucker. I’ve only come across > Rand Ports in the context of V6 and the Arpa crowd 1977-1981. I’ve never > seen a reference to Rand Ports on V7 or later. This of course does not mean > that it did not exist. > Steve Glaser hacked was playing with them at Tektronix in 1979, as he had put them into their V6 system before I got there IIRC. I switched the user code to use Chesson's MPX in V7, which is why I think they never were used much in V7. I've forgotten what Bruce used for UNET - I'm CC'ing him here, hoping to jog his memory., > > I’ve dug further, and it would seem that named pipes under the name ‘fifo’ > appeared first in SysIII (1980). That matches with Luderer’s remark. It > does not seem to exist in the Research editions. It only appears in BSD in > the Reno release, 1990. All in all, it would seem that ‘fifo’s were a SysV > thing for most of the 80’s, with the BSD lineage using domain sockets > instead (as Clem mentioned). > Yes, that's right. And if you were someone like Masscomp or Pyramid trying to thread both systems, we had both in our kernels. > > Interestingly, Luderer also refers to a 1978 paper by Steve Holmgren (one > of the Arpa Unix authors), suggesting ’sockets’ (in today’s parlance) for > interproces communication. > > Paul > > PS really nobody on the list recalls Luderer's (et al.) distributed Unix > and how it related to other work ?? > > > > On 6 Mar 2020, at 23:44, Noel Chiappa wrote: > > > > > >> From: Paul Ruizendaal > > > >> The paper is from late 1981. ... When did FIFO's become a > >> standard Unix feature? > > > > Err, V4? :-) At least, that's when pipes arrived (I think - we don't > have V4 > > sources, but there are indications that's when they appeared), and a > pipe is a > > FIFO. RAND ports just allowed (effectively) a pipe to have a name in the > file > > system. > > > > The implementation of both is pretty straight-forward. A pipe is just a > file > > which has a maximum length, after which the writer is blocked. A port is > > just a pipe (it uses the pipe code) whose inode appears in the file > system. > > > >> From: Clem Cole > > > >> I think the code is on one of the 'USENIX' tapes in Warren's archives. > > > > Doc is here: > > > > https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=BBN-V6/doc/ipc > > > > and sources for all that are here: > > > > https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=BBN-V6/dmr > > https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=BBN-V6/ken > > > > (port.c is in 'dmr', not 'ken'where it should be). > > > > Noel > >