Sorry, That should be 8kB (4kW) of high memory... On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 08:03, Paul Riley wrote: > >> don't know how that board uses the SD card, in terms of where it keeps the >> RL02 image, but if you can find that out, SD<->USB3 adaptors are cheap and >> plentiful, and it shouldn't be too hard to load the disk image into it >> using >> one of them. (For the QSIC, I found a 'dd' for Winsdoze and used that to >> write >> the disk image onto the SD card.) >> >> Here's how the formatting of the SD card is done. First you partition the > disk into n 'FAT 12" partitions, one for each drive you wish to connect. > Then you pop the card in the emulator board, and run a utility which > formats the partitions as "Linux" and you then have n 10.5MB Linux > partitions. Putting the card back into your host machine, you then copy > your RL02 disk images to the newly formatted Linux partitions. > > Here's the full explanation: > > https://www.5volts.ch/pages/rlv12/rlv12-createdisk/ > > >> > I don't have any PROMs other than what would be on the '03 or '23+ >> > boards now. >> >> Not a problem: if you hook up the -11's console to another computer, you >> can download a bootstrap into it over the serial line, using the -11's >> ODT. >> > > Thanks for the tip. > > >> Speaking of booting, I have Mini-Uix booting under an -11/05 simulator >> (Ersatz-11); I used the RK image from here: >> >> Thanks again. > > >> Oh, I recently realized how to make a bit more room on an -11/03: most >> DEC small QBUS memory cards allow you to use half the 'I/O page' for >> memory, >> > > Sounds beyond me, and not necessary at this stage. > > >> What kind of memory card(s) do you have for the -11/03? >> >> > The 256kB card is: > M8067-KA MSV11-PK 256-kbyte MOS memory with parity CSR > I'll keep that for the '23+. > > Can you clarify something for me regarding memory? I understand the bottom > area of memory in a Unix system is for the Kernel and it's stuff, and that > the top 8kB is set aside for device I/O (with the exceptions you mentioned > in a previous email about using some of that space). The LSI-11 board has > 4kW of RAM on it, and I have already a 16KW board. If I want to further > expand the RAM, and say I buy another 16kW board, that makes an arithmetic > sum of 32kW for the boards, making 36kW total. Can the 4kW of on-board RAM > be disabled, and only the 32kW on the boards be used? Is it ok for the > installed RA mto overlap the 8kW at the high memory area? Do the devices > spoof these addresses or do they read/write in the high installed RAM area? > > Paul >