Noel, Regarding the boards, the non-DEC one is the 16kW board I bought installed in the '03, so I guess that works fine. I managed to follow instructions for SimH and install and configure a V6 system. Was quite satisfying, and was quite an education. So many lessons in one session, a really good exercise. I'm checking with Peter Schranz about whether or not his RLV12/RL02 boards can run on the '03. May be a similar issue with knobbling some of the pins, if I'm lucky. *Paul Riley* Mo: +86 186 8227 8332 Email: paul@rileyriot.com On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 04:51, Noel Chiappa wrote: > > From: Paul Riley > > > I also have a DEC 256KB board, but I doubt I could use it on the > > '03. > > Yes, DEC 256KB boards are what's called Q22, and those don't seem to work > with > LSI-11's; not even CPU ODT works. I just tried a 256KB MSV11-L with an > LSI-11, > and it definitely doesn't work; the MSV11-P is definitely a Q22 board, and > so > probably also won't work. > > What the Q22 means is that early in the lifetime of the QBUS, it only had > 18 > address line - so-called Q18. (Technially the LII-11 used only 16 address > lines, > so it's actually Q16.) DEC latter snarfed some of the 'unused' pins, and > made them QDAL18-21. So boards that use those pins for QDAL18-21 are 'Q22' > boards. > > My theory on what the problem is is that the LSI-11 uses some of those pins > for other things - I think the 'run' light, IIRC. So that confuses Q22 > memory. > If one tries to use one with an LSI-11, the machine is totally dead - not > even > ODT. It doesn't do any harm, though; unplug the Q22 memory, and plug in a > Q18 > card like an MSV11-D, and it'll be fine. > > If you need memory for the LSI-11, MSV11-D boards are pretty common on > eBait, > for not much. They tend to be flaky, though; sometimes they come back to > life > if you leave them sit for a bit after you plug them in. > > > I believe the [memory] board is non-DEC. > > Well, if it's Q22 it won't work either. Both that and the DEC board should > work in the /23, though. (If you have the part number on the memory chips, > a > little arithmetic should give you the board size. 256K and up are > generallly > Q22; if you have a manual for that card it might say.) > > > I'm still working with Mini-Unix; it's very fragile. When I got it running, > the first thing I tried to do was changle the line editing characters > (since > my normal ones are burned into ROM). Alas, in stock V6, DEL is hard-wired > to > be 'interrupt process', so I can't just 'stty [mumble]', I have to rebuild > the > kernel to change that. Not a problem, necessarily - but I edited tty.h and > said 'cc -c tty.c', and it crashed and re-started - and roached the disk. > So > I'm still trying to make progress. I might have mis-configured the > simulator, > I'll see. > > Noel >