On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 7:19 PM John Gilmore wrote: That certainly worked for closing the Digital Divide. Some suggested > allocating billions in tax dollars to subsidize the un-networked in the > 1990s and 2000's. Instead we mostly just waited a few years. > Semiconductor economics plus consumer behavior (demand rises very > quickly as prices drop, which provides economies of scale) solve most of > the problem for you. > Not quite yet. As of 2018, which is the latest data I can find, only 73% of U.S. households have 10 Mbps download speed or better, and only 46% have 100 Mbps service or better. If you look at the lowest quartile of household incomes, the figures are 33% and 18% respectively. (You want adoption figures, not deployment figures.) Wiring up the whole country is fine, but if people won't or can't use it, it does little good. On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 7:53 PM Erik E. Fair wrote: How many terabytes of stable storage do you have at home? > None at all, unless you count physical books. I don't bother with home backups because they don't provide disaster recovery: I'm not going to be thinking about grabbing a hard disk on my way out the door if there's a fire or flood. Instead, I keep about 186 GB in an S3 bucket (a fair amount of that is redundant, but it doesn't make sense for me to spend time deduplicating files). I also have about 4 GB in two Google accounts. Essentially all of that is text/plain, text/html, or application/pdf. John Cowan http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan cowan@ccil.org Monday we watch-a Firefly's house, but he no come out. He wasn't home. Tuesday we go to the ball game, but he fool us. He no show up. Wednesday he go to the ball game, and we fool him. We no show up. Thursday was a double-header. Nobody show up. Friday it rained all day. There was no ball game, so we stayed home and we listened to it on-a the radio. --Chicolini