No, that definitely wasn't it: this is of the "numeric code plus text string" type, although it's interesting because it has multiple-length text strings to trade off verbosity/helpfulness. It kind of reminds me of what you get in ADVENT when you move to a place you have been before. You get only a brief description, but if you type DESCRIBE you get the full monty. That must have saved a lot of LA34/36 paper. :-) On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 10:07 AM Derek Fawcus < dfawcus+lists-tuhs@employees.org> wrote: > On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 04:04:22PM -0400, John Cowan wrote: > > But this reminded me: Does anyone remember a system of any sort where > there > > were *two* corresponding sets of alphanumeric error codes, one short and > > meaningless like F32 and the other somewhat meaningful like POWER_LOW? I > > made up this example, but I have a feeling I saw or read about such > > a system. I can't pin it down with Dr. Google. > > Something early from Digital Research? > > Not quite what you describe, but a late DR OS had the following scheme. > > > http://bitsavers.org/pdf/digitalResearch/flexos/1073-2003_FlexOS_Users_Guide_V1.3_Nov86.pdf > > page 4, and 128 onwards: > > The help level can have a value between 1 and 4. Your computer > manufacturer sets a default help level which you can override with DEFINE. > > 1 Displays the FlexOS function, the error source module, and the > return code. > 2 Identifies the command and type of error in one sentence. > An example of a level 2 error message is "COPY: Write error." > 3 Expands on the level 2 message and includes more specific > information. > An example of a level 3 message is "COPY: An error occurred writing > report.txt on a:". > 4 Expands on the level 3 message and often suggests a possible > solution to the error. > An example of a level 4 message is "COPY: An error occurred writing > report.txt on a: The disk a: is full. You can erase unnecessary files to > free up space." > > Where for scheme 1 it gave something like: > > Error Code = 80137712 > System Source Module = Pipe System > Function Returning the Error = write_data > Error Argument (long in HEX) = 123456 > Error Argument (character string) = string > > With only one of the last two lines printed, depending upon the function > in question. > > DF >