That suggests to me like factoring the script would be the first place to start. On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:30 PM Steve Nickolas wrote: > On Thu, 20 Aug 2020, John Cowan wrote: > > > On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:55 AM Steve Nickolas > wrote: > > > >> Funny you mention ksh since I've been trying to kitbash ksh93 into being > >> able to compile with make instead of the funky build system it currently > >> uses, without a lot of luck. > > > > IIRC, Korn used make when developing ksh, but then shipped it with a > > /bin/sh script because it was more portable than make was in those days > > (and still is; there are tools that warn you to use gmake on BSD). After > > all, a build process (unless it is interrupted) just needs to build, it > > doesn't need to keep track of what has already been built. > > > > That said, I have no idea what the state of the build process is now. > > It's still a shell script. Big huge shell script. > > I was trying to simplify the build process because I'm trying to coax ksh > to build with a nonstandard cc/libc combination as part of an attempt to > make Linux more like "real" (read: commercial/historic) Unices. They're > pretty compatible with gcc and glibc, but they're not gcc and glibc. > > -uso. >