On Sun, 3 May 2020 at 12:14, Clem Cole wrote: > > Paul W -- do you remember if DEC TLG did a version of dbx for Ultrix > (Leslie might remember)? FWIW: I know that DEC had a number of different > debugger projects so on the UNIX side over the years, and I really don't > remember what was done for the VAX, as I was not there at the time. By > MIPS/Alpha in the mid-late 90's there was a whole new debugger stream that > had been developed at part of GEM, but there was another one that came from > MIPs too which was based on dbx. > Perhaps unsurprisingly, as Ultrix 1 was basically just 4.2BSD with some tweaks/addons, dbx has been there since the beginning as /usr/ucb/dbx. The binary in 1.1 has SCCS strings mostly dating it to '83 and the 2.0 source tree has dates that are mostly December '84. -Henry