TME - most recently https://osdn.net/projects/nme/ - in theory does what you want. Its setup and use is a bit idiosyncratic, and I have found that it is unhappy running on OSs other than NetBSD, but if you get it running it just works. I've used it to set up installations of SunOS 3 and 4 on sun2, sun3, and sun4 architectures. -Henry On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 at 17:49, wrote: > I’m looking for a “Sun OS 3.5” emulation running where I can attach a SCSI > emulator to it and get the full OS installed. > I’ve got tape images but I haven’t found the process to emulate how it > used to work. > > From the initial boot prompt, you extracted them to the “swap partition” > and then started the install and it would prompt you for the next tape when > needed. > So, I guess we’d need an emulated tape or something, etc. I have all > the tar’s (all the way back to Sun OS 1 or so) but have been frustrated > trying to make some progress. > > Earl > > > On Mar 13, 2024, at 5:31 PM, Henry Bent wrote: > > On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 at 17:27, Will Senn wrote: > >> On 3/13/24 3:12 PM, Henry Bent wrote: >> >> Hi all, >> >> I've been working quite a bit recently with SunOS 4 on a SPARCstation 5, >> seeing what I can coax out of it in terms of building and supporting a >> modern computing environment. I know that TUHS isn't really the right >> place for this, but can someone point me to somewhere that is? I've made >> significant progress in some areas and spent a lot of cycles to get there - >> for instance, I have GCC 3.4.6 up and running - so I'd like to contribute >> to a community if one exists. Is there a modern equivalent of sun-managers? >> >> -Henry >> >> Not an answer to the question, but on a tangent... >> >> I recently saw that Solaris 11.4 SRU66 was released and had a yearning to >> see how things in Solaris land were doing (can't stand Gnome so >> OpenIndiana's a bust)... but with Oracle's Solaris, it's a mess at least >> for hobbyists (only get release patches, so I'm guessing the most up to >> date 'release' was 11.4 in 2018). So, when I saw your post on SunOS 4, I >> thought I'd tool around and see if it was easy to get rolling as a VM, >> turns out things have come a long way on that front: >> >> https://defcon.no/sysadm/playing-with-sunos-4-1-4-on-qemu/ >> >> OpenWindows 3... wow... works great on my Mint instance. Now, if I could >> just remember how commands work on SunOS :). >> > > Thanks Will! You may also be interested in > https://john-millikin.com/running-sunos-4-in-qemu-sparc as another > resource about running SunOS 4 in QEMU. I have considered moving my setup > to QEMU, especially as it would be very easy to create a hard drive image > since I am using a SCSI2SD board, but there is something about running > these things on the original hardware that is difficult to leave behind. > > -Henry > > >