I'm going to come right out ahead of any path to the contrary and say that I'm in favor of the lockdowns that were enacted in the US. I very plainly do not trust the population here to make reasonable decisions, even in the face of clearly presented evidence to the contrary. Furthermore, I have not seen any evidence that US lawmakers acted according to any model whatsoever. The evidence being what it is, I applaud UK lawmakers for acting as they did, and our hindsight evidence can only support increased funding for statistical modeling. It wasn't a widely regarded field before this and I can only hope that its support improves after this. -Henry On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 at 08:02, Ralph Corderoy wrote: > Hi, > > Jon Steinhart wrote: > > In lectures these days, I'm asking the question "We haven't managed to > > off more than a thousand or so people at a time with a software bug > > yet so what's going to be software's Union Carbide Bhopal moment?" > > If buggy code rather than a single bug counts then the software model > written over fifteen years by Neil Ferguson of Imperial College, London, > which has been instrumental in poor UK Government policy decisions on > COVID-19 has easily topped more than a thousand deaths in the net tally. > > It was a single 15,000-line file of C, written by a non-programmer. > Eventually, ic.ac.uk released a C++ version which had been worked on by > Microsoft and other volunteers for a month so it could face the public. > > ‘For me the code is not a mess, but it’s all in my head, completely > undocumented. Nobody would be able to use it... and I don’t have > the bandwidth to support individual users.’ ― Neil Ferguson. > > Politician Steve Baker MP, a former senior programmer, has been critical > of the public version and commissioned a review by Mike Hearn. A path > to Hearn's paper starts at > https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1323897771510943745.html > > And another coder critique is at > https://lockdownsceptics.org/code-review-of-fergusons-model/ > > The numbers from Ferguson's original pre-release C program were > presented by him to Number 10 and were instrumental in setting the UK on > the path of lockdowns. ‘...lockdowns are the single worst public health > mistake in the last 100 years’ ― Jay Bhattacharya, professor of medicine > at Stanford University. > > -- > Cheers, Ralph. >